Talk Accelerate 2017: Did We Test the Right Things? Test Gap Analysis in Practice
Dr. Elmar Jürgens & Dr. Elmar Jürgens
- Speaker: Elmar Jürgens
- Conference: Accelerate 2017
- Date: Tuesday, October 16th 2017
- Venue: Austria Center Vienna
Most bugs occur in those areas of the system, which have been changed since the last release. Test managers thus attempt to test those areas especially carefully. However, our research shows that substantial amounts of code changes are shipped into production untested, where they cause the majority of field bugs.
In this talk, I present test gap analysis, a novel approach that combines static and dynamic analyses to discover untested changes. I outline experiences from several years of application in practice, in international teams with up to 20 developers and 30 testers and describe how it helps to keep development and testing in sync. I also demonstrate best practices for hotfix-tests, release tests and continuous tests.
This talk was recorded and can be watched in this video. See below for times of specific talk contents. Visit this blog post for a shorter (8 minutes) interview video that introduces Test Gap Analysis.
- 00:06: Problem: Most bugs are found in changed code and often changes slip through testing
- 01:07: Introduction of the presenter Dr. Elmar Jürgens and his backgrounds
- 03:11: How many changes are untested? Introduction of Test Gap Analysis (TGA)
- 06:20: TGA on a big industrial software product
- 11:49: 100% Change Coverage ⇏ 0 Bugs
- 13:44: Use Case: Hot Fix Test
- 14:30: Dev-Test-Communication and Ticket-Coverage are methods to close Test Gaps
- 16:35: Questions